Ford Windsor Forums

302w.com - Ford 289, 302, 331, 347, 393 Windsor Forums
N/a, Strokers, blown and nitrous injected build ups all welcome.
Welcome to Ford Windsor Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Forums Photos

A "just for fun" budget 302" build...

Last post 12-19-2012, 2:20 PM by jonmark1985. 52 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (53 items)   1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-22-2008, 5:03 PM 1100

A "just for fun" budget 302" build...

So... I got this new job and moved to Indiana, I get kinda bored here at night and I've decided to start a 302 build on a budget.  I think I'm gonna yank my 93' Thunderbird engine here in a couple weeks, and start getting parts.  I've used enginekits.com before and been very impressed with their stuff.

I guess the place to start is a mission statement.  I plan to get another MN12 Thunderbird and build a "street radial" drag car.  We have a local drag strip that has a "run whatcha brung" friday night.  Its an 1/8th mile track and I'm not familiar with how sticky it is.  Its about 650 feet above sea level here and the summers get pretty hot and humid.

The MN12 weighs about 3800 pounds in factory trim.  I plan to cut weight though.  I still intend on keeping it a street legal car, however the exhaust, 90% of the interior, AC, heater, and trim will get tossed.  I intend to run the AOD from the 93' car.  It will be modified with a shift kit and the proper converter.  I also intend to steal the trac-lok 8.8 IRS our of the 93' car (~3.25).  I'll probably run 205/60/r15's in the front and 275/50/r15's in the rear with rear wheel spacers and "beat in" inner fenders.

The motor will hopefully be fairly aggressive but nothing past streetable.  I plan to spray it on cast pistons, but nothing more than jets for 100 horse.  I know, I"m gonna get roasted for this, but how many people have tried this and got away, everyone always says use a forged piston, but I feel with proper jetting, timing, and warm up that the motor will run at least 20 runs this way (probably more like 50).  I have ported heads before I'm I think I'm gonna try a realistic approach to the E7TE-PA heads that are on the car.  The big focus will be on bowl blending, and thermactor removal.  I plan on fabricating my own full length headers.

So...
    This is the "super-kit" I'm looking at http://shop.enginekits.com/osb/itemdetails.cfm?ID=574 .  The kit is actually for pre 86 motors, but I don't see an issue being as it is just rings, bearings, gaskets and oil pump.  I"m also intending on running Sealed Power's H273CP30 pistons.  I'm gonna spec out the original roller camshaft and lifters.  The lifters will be disassembled and cleaned.

Any suggestions let me know!

BTW do I need a single plane intake to run nitrous, or will it be suitable to run a dual plane ( I don't want to toss out the charge)
  •  05-23-2008, 3:56 PM 1107 in reply to 1100

Re: A "just for fun" budget 302" build...

Limitations on nitrous with dual planes are common knowledge. Simply look at a typical plate setup on top of a dual plane and it is obvious why it's not optimum. The spray bars are right above the plenum divider, not the best setup at all. Shot size on nitrous should be limited to around 100 or so. The perimeter discharge plates now coming on the market solve that issue BUT you still have cylinder to cylinder distribution issues inherent in a dual plane design.

But there is a few tricks to the trade. You can take a cutter and die grinder and thin down the very top section of the divider so it comes up in a point instead of flat. You can also cut a chamfer in the divider about a inch deep and about a inch wide to help with cylinder to cylinder issues.

My advice is run single plane however if you dont plan on going over 6000rpm a dual plane will be ok. But dont use anymore than a 100 shot as you will be wasting money for no gains. I reccomend zex systems.

Good luck tho sounds like a fun project,keep us informed on how ya going.

And awesome read on head porting :)

•  05-23-2008, 8:53 PM 1109 in reply to 1107

Yeah, maybe it would be in my best interest to stick EFI and spray on the budget.  Figuring out the wring could be a nightmare, but it shouldn't be impossible.
  •  05-24-2008, 10:28 PM 1116 in reply to 1109

Ok, so I stopped by Oreillys.  I was considering their "sealed power master engine kit"  for an 85 mustang 5.0 with CFI.  This paticular kit would involve flat top pistons, a fairly agressive flat tappet camshaft ( the same one that would be put in lightning trucks later down the line).  I'd probably pitch the timing chain set up though.

it's like $477, which isn't bad, but I can get a better performance kit from enginekits.com for a little bit cheaper, this is the kit I'm looking at!

http://shop.enginekits.com/osb/itemdetails.cfm?ID=575

I'm gonna go for the moly rings, RV camshaft, and the double roller timing chain.  The kit will then run me $287.  I have a set of guide plates and rocker studs from them already, and I'm thinking about these rocker arms also.  They run $84.95 a set.  I'm not sure if they are able to be used with adjustable valvetrain.  I'm kinda set on adjustable valve train for the larger camshaft, and changes in deck height and the heads being milled.

http://shop.enginekits.com/osb/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1005

•  05-24-2008, 10:40 PM 1117 in reply to 1116

Ok, was also looking at "professional products" stuff.  Its cheap, but in the single plane or EFI world it should be easier to clean casting flash than in the dual plane world.

Enginekits.com wants around $350 for this intake.

Or around $150 for this carb intake.
  •  06-10-2008, 2:25 AM 1167 in reply to 1117

hey there havent been on in a while just seen ya post

i like the look of single plane rather than injection and some of those aggressive cams

play havoc with computer management depends on how bigya gonna go.

roller tips look ok cheap as well might look at some myself as the last 2 sets of full

rollers ive had chewed out the fulcrums yay what a mess nice little pieces of alloy all thru

the oil lol

•  06-20-2008, 6:08 AM 1185 in reply to 1117

Well, I just decided to go for it, and I ordered my pistons.  They should be here in a couple days.  I got Speed Pro's H273CP30 set from powerhouse.  They should be here in about 4 or 5 days.

I'm going to head to O'Reilly Auto Parts and check on a re-ring kit this morning.  I'll see if i can get a set with moly rings.

•  06-20-2008, 3:41 PM 1186 in reply to 1185

OK,

I went to O'Reilly Auto Parts and got my engine kit ordered.  When I used to work there we had our engine kits overnight shipped from California.  Maybe I'll get my kit on Saturday.  Either way I'm in no larger hurry.
  •  06-20-2008, 5:48 PM 1187 in reply to 1186

sweet hopefully it does arrive good start to the weekend and it will give ya something to do.Did you decide on carb or efi?

I just put demon jnr on 302 even tho i had heard a few bad things bout them like fileings in bowls etc mine was sweet and man what a difference to response and acceleration dont think i will ever buy holley again. i also changed vacum sec spring so its initial opening is 1625rpm and full at 6250rpm that makes huge difference.Prolly would go real nice on what you doin.Worth a thought cheap too. 

•  06-26-2008, 12:12 PM 1196 in reply to 1187

Well, last night i got a call, UPS said they had something to deliver tomorrow...

The only thing i can think of is the pistons I ordered!  I'm really getting curious as to the amount of valve relief on the pistons.  I hope the diameters are 2.02" or bigger for the intake side and 1.6" or bigger for the exhaust side.  I would settle for 1.94" and 1.6" though.
  •  06-27-2008, 8:35 AM 1197 in reply to 1196

No delivery yesterday, maybe today.

I think the call was about the SDRAM I ordered for my old computer, but it was delivered the day before.
  •  06-27-2008, 9:56 AM 1198 in reply to 1197

that sux i hate waiting for stuff to arrive

i always have heaps of spare time when i waiting and no spare time when it arrives 

•  06-27-2008, 10:24 AM 1199 in reply to 1198

Yeah, i got to sign for it too, and i'm gonna be out of town for the next two days, and then i got work for the next four and won't be around anytime during the day.
  •  06-27-2008, 2:57 PM 1202 in reply to 1199

They came in...

Enginekits.com sent me Silvo-lite pistons :( I called them and they said the speed-pro pistons are on back order... I'm just gonna make do i guess.
  •  06-29-2008, 7:56 PM 1207 in reply to 1202

So, i went back home and made it to the wedding reception.  I grabbed a 302 block i had laying on the shop floor when I was home.  I got the block given to me about 2 years ago, and I never did anything with it.  Its out of an 89' E150.  It is roller cam convertible, and i have all the parts.

I got work all this week, except the fourth, so next monday I"m probably gonna take in the block and pistons to get the machine work done.

Page 1 of 4 (53 items)   1 2 3 4 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML

Shortcuts